Today we got started with openFrameworks and ofxKinect. All the code is available on GitHub on the 3dsav repository. We covered:
- Interfacing with ofxKinect
- Exporting depth and color data from the Kinect
- Rendering point clouds efficiently with openFrameworks
- Building meshes from point clouds
- Depth thresholding and background subtraction
This week's assignment is to build a forepoint detection and drawing system. That means detecting the point closest to the kinect, and using it to control a line drawing.
If that seems too easy, you should (in increasing order of complexity):
- Render the drawing in 3d instead of 2d.
- Track an arbitrary number of forepoint-like features.
- Implement an algorithm similar to optical flow with tracking, but in 3d.